Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Love for Books Day 3: Blogger Feature: Kristen

Hey everyone! We're now onto our third day of A Love for Books event! Today we have the amazing blogger Kristen from My Friends Are Fiction! In all honesty she's always been one of the bloggers I've admired and looked up to, from when I first started to even now. And the great thing is that lately we've actually begun talking more and it's actually a huge thing for me! She's super nice, lovely to talk to, and just has this way about her. One of my favorite things about her blog that drew me in, and I think draws everyone in, is her Legos! She's turned several covers, with people on them, into Legos and Lego people definitely seem to be her thing. It's fun, unique, and actually super cool. If you haven't checked out her blog yet, you so should! I'm truly honored to have Kristen on the blog, and she was willing to write a post for the event about insta-love which is actually fantastic and not what I was expecting. I hope you all enjoy!



Shakespeare, Disney and Plot Devices
A look at insta-love
By Kristen from My Friends Are Fiction
So This Is Love

-Disney’s Cinderella
Honestly, I was raised on insta-love. Think back to the Disney films: Ariel gave up her life as a mermaid after watching Prince Eric on his boat and saving him from drowning. Prince Charming chose to marry Cinderella after one evening of dance, the list goes on.

Perhaps that is why Beauty and the Beast was always my favored Disney movie. Belle is forced to get to know the Beast beyond his appearance. They share stolen moments together and as the viewer we are privy to their emotional attachment growing and blossoming into something deeper than the friendship they’ve begun.

-Shakespeare Romeo & Juliet

I think literature’s most popular and wildly known case of insta-love would have to be Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet. As a teen I was incredibly drawn to their story and found it romantic that two people would give up everything after only encountering one another a handful of times. What could be a bolder notion of love than to drop everything for someone you barely know?
 As I’ve gotten older and revisited the classic the romance has slowly slipped away. Yet, no amount of logical thought could ever detract completely from Shakespeare’s beautiful words.

The Means to an End?
This brings me to my preferred genre today, young adult. So many books in this genre tend to utilize insta love as the basis to their character’s romantic relationship. I’ll not name specifics but I’m fairly certain most people can think of a few fairly easily. Sadly, more often than not insta-love glares from the pages instead of portraying the absolute devotion Shakespeare was capable of instilling within his star-crossed lovers.  
When I encounter a book that incorporates this it always feels that the romance was added for the sole purpose of increasing tension to the story-line, a means to the end, and not to bolster the emotional draw and depth of the novel. Pertaining to insta love as a plotting device-I’ve often wondered if the writer plans to have their characters fall immediately in love or if to them, they felt that the relationship was justified.
From what I’ve seen in other blogger’s reviews and common discussion the majority of people feel negatively towards it. Not only does it pull us from the overall story arc but also misses such a great opportunity for the author to give the reader insight into both characters.

Your Thoughts
What do you think? Does insta love show a depth of emotion that is romantic in its ludicrous abandon of logic? Or does it seem like a missed opportunity to get to know the characters or even a plot device?

Kristen
My Friends Are Fiction

Twitter: @Kris10Williams


I truly love this post and it's such a different spin on the common discussion on insta-love. Kristen did such an amazing job, just as I knew she would. Thank you so much Kristen, for everything! It was truly wonderful having you on the blog! I hope you all enjoyed this post as much as I did! Thank you Kristen for stopping by. Now everyone make sure you stop by again tomorrow for another fun feature!

a Rafflecopter giveaway


~Kayla~

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me! I actually hadn't really thought too much on the topic of insta-love past just knowing it wasn't my favorite type of love in ya. I was thrilled to have the chance to really sit down and think about it. I'm so happy you enjoy the Legos and the blog! Thank you for thinking of inviting me <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I am a fan of insta-love if the author does a good job presenting it within the context of the story. I also totally believe in insta-love in RL! Romeo and Juliet still maintains it's magnetic pull on me because of the love at first site aspect.

    ReplyDelete