
“Just to be in love seemed the most blissful luxury I had ever known. The thought came to me that perhaps it is the loving that counts, not the being loved in return -- that perhaps true loving can never know anything but happiness. For a moment I felt that I had discovered a great truth.” ~Cassandra in I Capture the Castle
Hi, Kayla! Thanks for having me here! J I know the initial plan was for me to share my most favorite YA romances, but as I narrowed down my choices, I realized the relationships I love most aren’t always in an obvious “romantic relationship” per se. So, I decided to share some of my favorite relationships, complete with quotes to go with them. (Yay!) Here they are, in no particular order:
Noah & Miranda
False Memory
(A False Memory Novel, #1)

He stops pacing. “I know, Miranda, I did it because I—”
“Stop! Don't say it. I don't want to hear you say it.”
“I have to say it,” Noah says.
“No, you don't.” If I hear him say the word love, I don't know what I'll do. I still have my gun. Maybe one day I can forgive him, but all chance of that goes out the window if he claims he did it for love. If you love someone, the idea is respect them enough to trust them. Not to take away their freedom. Their life.
Add to Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10194494-false-memory
Purchase at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/False-Memory-A-Novel/dp/142314984X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391385721&sr=8-1&keywords=False+memory
***
Maddie & Logan
The Summer I Became a Nerd

“Do I really like him? Is that the right way to put it? I've only known him for the summer technically, but really like doesn't seem to encompass it. If you really like someone, do they insist on invading your every thought? Does just saying their name make goose bumps rise on your arms? Do you contemplate how many freckles your children will have?”
Add to Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14744489-the-summer-i-became-a-nerd?from_search=true
Purchase at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Summer-I-Became-Nerd/dp/1620612380/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391385869&sr=8-1&keywords=the+summer+i+became+a+nerd
***
Andi & Virgil
Revolution

“He shakes his head and looks away. He’s going to leave now. Of course he is. Isn’t that what I want? But he doesn’t. He takes my hand in his and says nothing. We just sit there. Together. It feels stupid and awkward and I don’t know why he’s doing it until suddenly I do. He’s going to wait for me to tell him and he won’t let go until I do.
I wonder, again, how I could ever tell him. I can’t. I just can’t.
He doesn’t move. Doesn’t speak. His hand feels strong and steady. It feels like a last chance.”
Add to Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7558747-revolution
Purchase at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Jennifer-Donnelly/dp/0385737645/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1391385964&sr=8-7&keywords=Jennifer+Donnelly
***
Finnikin & Evanjalin
Finnikin of the Rock

“This hand says you spend the rest of your life with me," he said, holding out his left hand, "and this one says I spend the rest of my life with you. Choose."
She bit her lip, tears welling in her eyes. She took both of his hands in hers and he shuddered. "I will die protecting you," he says.
There was a look of dismay on her face. "Just like a man of this kingdom, Finnikin. Talking of death, yours or mine, is not a good way to begin a-"
She gave a small gasp when he leaned forward, his lips an inch away from hers. "I will die for you," he whispered.
She cupped his face in her hands. "But promise me you'll live first. Because nothing we are about to do is going to be easy and I need you by my side.”*
Add to Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4932435-finnikin-of-the-rock?from_search=true
Purchase at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Finnikin-Rock-The-Lumatere-Chronicles/dp/076365292X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391385666&sr=8-1&keywords=finnikin+of+the+rock
***
Brewster & Bronte
Bruiser

“He didn’t have to finish the thought, because it was there in his eyes. The reason why he ran--why he lied. People thought Brewster Rawlins was a dark unknown, a black hole best kept away from. Well maybe he was, but what people don’t realize is that black holes generate an amazing amount of light. The problem is, their gravity is so great, the light can’t escape it--it just gets pulled in with everything else.”
Add to Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1931915.Bruiser?from_search=true
Purchase at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bruiser-Neal-Shusterman/dp/0061134104/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391386001&sr=1-1&keywords=bruiser+neal+shusterman
***
Hana & Ash
Motocross Me

“If I was the girl of your dreams, then you would have asked me out by now.” I cross my arms and wait for him to beg and grovel for forgiveness.
“I am not like Ryan,” he says, looking straight into my eyes. “If you want a guy like Ryan then you will forever be disappointed in a guy like me.”
“I want a guy like you,” I say. “I only went out with Ryan because it’s obvious you weren’t interested in me.”
This amuses Ash and the half-smile he always wears when watching me talk becomes a full-faced grin.
“You’re amazing, Hana.” He throws his head back and sighs, staring at the ceiling. “It just hasn’t been the right timing. “ He leans in like he wants to put his arm around me but doesn’t. “And I was waiting for the perfect timing.”
Add to Goodreads:
Purchase at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Motocross+me+Cheyanne+Young
***
Lennie & Joe
The Sky is Everywhere

“Remember how it was when we kissed? Armfuls and armfuls of light thrown right at us. A rope dropping down from the sky. How can the word love and the word life even fit in the mouth?”
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6604794-the-sky-is-everywhere
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Sky-Everywhere-Jandy-Nelson/dp/B00BCU7L68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391385626&sr=8-1&keywords=The+sky+is+everywhere
***
Nastya & Josh
The Sea of Tranquility

“Just so you know,” I inform him, “one day, I’m going to get tired of sharing your affection with that coffee table and I’m going to make you choose.” “Just so you know,” he mimics me, “I would chop that table up and use it for firewood before I would ever choose anything over you.”
Add to Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16117442-the-sea-of-tranquility
Purchase at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Tranquility-Novel-Katja-Millay/dp/1476730946/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391386090&sr=1-1&keywords=the+sea+of+tranquility+katja+millay
***
Mary & Travis
The Forest of Hands and Teeth

“Suddenly, all I can think about are all the things I don't know about him. All the things I never had time to learn. I don't know if his feet are ticklish or how long his toes are. I don't know what nightmares he had as a child. I don't know which stars are his favorites, what shapes he sees in the clouds. I don't know what he is truly afraid of or what memories he holds closest.
And I don't have enough time now, never enough time. I want to be in the moment with him, feel his body against mine and think of nothing else, but my mind explodes with grief for all that I am missing. All that I will miss. All that I have wasted.”
Add to Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3432478-the-forest-of-hands-and-teeth?from_search=true
Purchase at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Forest-Hands-Teeth-Carrie-Ryan/dp/0385736827/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391386124&sr=1-1&keywords=the+forest+of+hands+and+teeth
*name omitted to prevent spoiler
And there you have it; some of my favorite relationships and quotes, to boot! Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments. Thanks for having me, Kayla!
***
Jessica L. Brooks is a lover of books, coffee, and all things owl-dorable. She writes young adult books about near-future dystopia (the Cozenage series) and magical realism (the Flora series), and loves to serve virtual cookies. Connect with her on her blog, Tumblr, or anywhere else on the interwebs by doing a search for her username: coffeelvnmom.
website: coffeelvnmom.blogspot.com
Twitter: @coffeelvnmom
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6923574.Jessica_L_Brooks
Tumblr: http://coffeelvnmom.tumblr.com/
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Jessica-Brooks/e/B00BR1XFEY/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1391386966&sr=8-1
Do you want the chance to win an order of Pity Isn't an Option or If I Speak True? Of course you do!! Enter my month long giveaway for a chance to win an (pre)order of any book from any featured author, along with other awesome prizes!!
~Kayla~
No comments:
Post a Comment