If you haven't already, check out my reviews for her books!
The Registry
The Collection
Now onto the interview! Let's all welcome Shannon!
1. What inspired you to write The Registry?
A friend's refusal to join facebook because it "was evil" was what gave me the idea for the Registry. I wanted to write a dystopian novel that addressed a number of perspectives too.
2. Out of the three Registry novels, which was the hardest for you to write?
The Collection. I had a few stumbles pulling it all together. I think it is hard to write a second book that still has it's own plot and isn't just a gap filler between books one and two.
3. What's one thing from The Registry or The Collection that you wish you could change?
Overall I am really happy with both books, it seems like in reviews not everyone liked the "Andrew-Mia-Carter" dynamic, but I think it was necessary to the plot/overall tension of the series.
4. Who was your favorite character to write and why?
Grant! Grant all the way. I have so much fun when I get to write his chapters. I try and think about the evilest things and I spend a lot of time laughing while I am writing for him because he can be a bit over the top/obnoxious.
5. As a writer, what's one thing you want to achieve?
I hope that my writing improves. I can tell a differences between The Registry and The Alliance as far as word choices and pacing. I hope that with each written work my game goes up at least a little.
6. What's the worst thing you've had to look up when writing your books?
I have some difficulty writing romance scenes. I had to look up a lot of synonyms for "kiss" that didn't ruin the mood I was trying to portray. I felt like I was in middle school, giggling at inappropriate words. For another idea I have I had to look up a lot of information on sociopaths, and some of that was a little scary!
7. The world in The Registry is definitely one of the most realistic and frightening (as a girl and a feminist) dystopian I've read. Do you think it could happen in our future? At least most of it?
I hope not! I try not to focus on politics too much, but I do think that in some parts of the world women are not treated as equals and would like to see the whole world move away from this idea.
8. What's one thing you want your readers to take with them after reading The Registry series?
The most important thing I think a reader can take away is a sense of enjoyment. I hope that when they are done with the series they found it easy to read and entertaining. There is definitely a sense of escapism when readying any dystopian novel and I really want that to come across in The Registry series.
Thank you so much Shannon for allowing me to have you on the blog! It was great working with you and I can't wait for the third and final installment of this amazing series! I hope you all enjoyed this interview and if you haven't yet, go check out her books The Registry and its sequel The Collection!
The Registry: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16285057-the-registry?bf=500&from_search=true
The Collection: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18090113-the-collection

Shannon Stoker lives in DeKalb, IL. She received her undergraduate and law degree from Northern Illinois University where she now works as the Research Integrity Coordinator. It’s not a stretch to say she’s a die hard Huskie fan!
When she’s not working or writing Shannon spends the majority of her time playing with her terrier mix Nucky or her husband.
She loves watching horror movies, including those straight to DVD classics most people never heard of. If she wasn’t an attorney or an author she would have been a beautician and is constantly bugging her friends to come over and let Shannon play with their hair.
~Kayla~
No comments:
Post a Comment